Louisiana is the incarceration capital of the world. The state of Louisiana incarcerates more people per capita than any other state in the U.S., a country that incarcerates more of its citizens, per capita, than any in the world. In 2005, on the eve of Hurricane Katrina, the local incarceration rate was more than five times the national average and there were 6,300 people inside Orleans Parish Prison. For the last 10 years, New Orleans has incarcerated more of its own than any other city in the country. It is within this context that OPPRC was formed.
- City Council to Hear Jail Expansion Proposal April 26, 2017
- Open Letter in Response to Proposed Jail Expansion March 8, 2017
- Bail Ordinance Unanimously Passed by City Council January 12, 2017
- Statement on Jail Expansion Plans January 5, 2017
- Open Letter to Mayor Landrieu re: Opposition to Jail Expansion November 16, 2016
OPPRC in Action